Thursday, November 24, 2016

Why I’m here and What I’ve seen?


In one form or another, natural medicine has always been a part of my life.  Growing up, I fondly recall my Grandfather pointing out plants and telling me that they were good for this or that, sharing his wealth of knowledge related to Maori tribal healing techniques, which were very spiritually based; my Dad would place spider webs on my cut knee to stop the bleeding and seal the wound; Mum would grow Aloe Vera in our back yard and use it on my sunburned skin during the hot Australian summer months; long before the slip, slop, slap craze!  I too have an Aloe Vera plant in my backyard and cobwebs are left in one corner of the house; a tradition I hope that my children will also follow! 
In 1998, I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and my GP integrated natural therapy into my treatment by giving me intravenous vitamin C.  Through this treatment, I overcame a lot of the debilitating effects of CFS however, it left my immune system in tatters. Lifestyle changes were a must and even though I would often stray from the path of Natural/Spiritual healing, I have always been drawn back to them.  Most recently, I started seeing a Naturopath to help with my recurring bouts of Tonsillitis, as I had grown frustrated with my body being constantly napalmed (and my butt being jabbed!) with antibiotics, which would then see me requiring another medicine to counteract the side effects of the original prescribed medication; it was a vicious cycle!  Initially, Naturopathy was an alternative form of treatment for me, however due to the severity of the infections which requires surgical intervention, my Naturopath suggested that we take a complementary approach until they are removed.  Even though I am again taking antibiotics, the herbal mixture and probiotics has eliminated my need for additional conventional medication, as I am no longer experiencing the nasty side effects.  
So, as you can see from this brief insight into my health journey, my desire to learn more has greatly been influenced by my own personal experience.
On a professional level, I am finding that many of my clients are generally becoming more interested in taking on a more natural/holistic approach to health and well-being; as opposed to the small country folk way of thinking that has an ingrained stigma of natural medicine.  I believe a shift within my local community is occurring, as we have quite a few of our local GP’s that refer their patients to Natural Therapists; Massage Therapists, Personal Trainers, Nutritionists and yoga/meditation classes.  One GP offers acupuncture as a part of his consultations.  Recently, our town gained a health food shop and salt therapy rooms which has assisted exposure of natural therapies further.
It is my hope that by branching out into Naturopathy, that I will be able to help my clients on a higher level, by offering a package that encompasses a holistic approach of natural health.  Perhaps in the future, my GP and I will work together to combine both of our passions and increase awareness within our local community even further and perhaps even remove the stigma completely…wouldn’t that be awesome!


xox LLP, Tash

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all messages and comments that are positive and encouraging. If however you do have some criticism please make sure that it is constructive rather than destructive. Much Love, Light and Peace XOXO Tash!