Saturday, September 30, 2023

Setting Goals...

Writing a wish list is an awesome step.  I am so proud of myself for acknowledging what needs to change in order for me to feel more vitalised and connected with myself (as an already perfect creation, in the image of God).  However, it is only one part of the process, one piece of the puzzle.  Turning those wishes into a reality is the next step.  I am ready, I am willing, and I believe I am worthy of the next step.  Which means, I need to set some goals! 

When I start the goal setting process I ask myself a few questions first.

  • Why? 
  • What? 
  • How? 

The first and second I've already answered, now its times to look at how can I achieve them.  More specifically, to ask myself, what do I need to do to make my wish a reality?

To do this, I use the saying and acronym that Goals should be S.M.A.R.T!! 

  • Specific
  • Measureable
  • Achievable/Attainable
  • Realistic/Relevant
  • Time Based

You can read more about each of the steps in details HERE, although the goals in that post no longer apply.

There are 31 items on my Vitality Wish List. Hmm, where to start? Lets go with the first item on the list, which is to 'Reduce and deal with stress better', more specifically 'To improve my resistance to stress', remembering that some things are legitimately outside of my control.

Lets talk about stress!

What is stress?  If everyone experiences stress for different reasons, how then does the one word cover it all?  I guess to sum in up, stress is the feeling of discomfort which surfaces when we are faced with something that theatens our optimal wellbeing.

Did you know there are three main types of stress that occurs in our daily lives, that can be experienced in combination with each other?

  • Acute e.g., a random event such getting stuck in traffic.
  • Acute episodic e.g., recurring uni/work deadlines.
  • Chronic e.g., persistent events like health issues, financial struggles. 

Also, although I listed stress under the mind category, did you know that it actualy affects your body, and spirit too?  For example., anxiousness can feel like a knot in my stomach, and/or my mind racing at a hundred miles per hour. Afterwards, I am left with a headache, and perhaps even guilt because I lashed out at those I love, or because I comfort ate a crap tonne of things that I know that isn't good for my body. 

This is an automatic 'Fight or Flight' reponse as a way of self protection; whereby, when faced with 'stress' the body automatically kicks it up a gear or two and floods with stress hormones (e.g., adrenaline and cortisol) to essentially prepare you for battle. Not to say this is a bad thing, in fact it is ultra beneficial in many sitations.  However, if this response is relentless, the body becomes over exposed to the hormones, which can cause disruption of the bodies processes causing inflammation and damage to our cells, aka dis-ease and/or disease.  

With this in mind..., you know how I said I wouldn't go all hell for leather and do them all at once, and slow and steady is the best course of action? This is where things get a bit tricky because of the interconnction.  Given this, there are realistically some things that can be grouped together, which means doing more than one thing at once in a relevant and beneficially healthful way to achieve/attain my goal.  It may make more sense if you can see it on paper.  

Below, in bold is a general stress control tip, and underneath it is a point from my vitality wish list:

Goal 1: To improve my resistance to stress

Mental health counseling or other social support.
- Catch up with friends
- Counselling appointments
- Meet and accept myself where I am 

Healthy diet.
- Improve nutrition
- Hydrate
- Feel healthy and comfortable in my own skin again. 

Regular exercise.

- Move
- Physiotherapy Exercises
- Feel healthy and comfortable in my own skin again. 

Work-life balance.
- Take Medication/Supplements as prescribed. 
- Book in and attend medical appointments. 
- Attend regular naturopathic consultations 
- Keep budgeting/paperwork in check.
- Keep house clean and organised (including outside areas) 
- Routine, Balance, and Consistency 
- Quality family time 
- Intimate connection with my sweet man

Good sleep hygiene. 
- Improve quantity and quality of sleep
- Read or Listen to audio books

Meditation or deep breathing techniques.
- Focus on gratitude
- Daily Affirmations
- Daily Meditation
- Daily Scripture and Prayer

Schedule 'me time' at least once a week.
- Genuinely and graciously savour the time off from work
- Gardening
- Self care
- Feel connected with my local community again
 
Which leaves:
- Reconnect with my purpose
- Look at starting back at work 
- Quit smoking
- Get op ready 

If you look at whats left, even those can be grouped and fit in one of the categories above.  For instance., reconnecting with my purpose blends in with looking at starting back at work, which can be achieved by getting my mental health in check, working on a my work/life balance, and spending time in meditation.  Quitting smoking will enable my body to be more optimally ready for my next op, which can also be achieved with mental preparation and losing some weight, which also falls under the categories of following a healthy diet and exercise.

See what I mean about tricky!

Stay tuned, and in the next post I will go through my plan; this will include both that prescribed by my Naturopath and some things that I have/plan to implement to enhance it.

Thanks for reading, LLP xo Tash 

3 comments:

  1. Well written Tash. A great insight to what is going on and why we tend to irrationally respond to all of the above. I'm particularly interested in the'stress elements' of your P.O.I.as you know I'v always been a stress head! Blaming all of what life throws at me. tky for an interesting article xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I have posted my treatment plan, aka plan of attack to not be a 'stress head' and instead be a 'bliss nut' haha, maybe something will reasonate for you xo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all messages and comments that are positive and encouraging. If however you do have some criticism please make sure that it is constructive rather than destructive. Much Love, Light and Peace XOXO Tash!