Friday, September 29, 2023

Vitality Wish List

So, here comes the self-analysis stuff.  I mean I have been learning the skills, so applying them on myself to get my own s#^+ together seems like the logical step right!?! 

I will say though that I do not believe that in order to help others I need to have it all figured out first; does anyone ever have it all figured out?  I mean just when we think we do something comes up, or we personally change our goal post.  Is life not a constantly evolving process? Anyway, I have experienced firsthand that you can be a work in progress and help others at the same time. Actually, it was the fact I was actively working on myself that helped me inspire and empower others when I was working as a Personal Trainer. Afterall, I am a big believer in leading by example.  

So, I guess in using myself as a ''case study' it is more about reclaiming the me who believed in herself.  To actively take the steps towards feeling worthy of the title I am studying to achieve!  Although, I can proudly say that since I first started writing this post (they take me a while, sometimes days, sometimes weeks), there have already been shifts in that area! 

But I digressed, I do that a lot, imagine being in my head where there a million thoughts all at once and each thought has its own branch, with twigs, and..., get back on track Tash! 

Anyway, since becoming aware of how I felt, or more to the point, since I have actively acknowledged my feelings rather than hiding behind the mask and trying to ignore them (you'd think I would have learnt by now that suppression is not the answer huh!), I've been spending some time taking an aerial view of my life, to gain a broader perspective on what I feel I need to change, or implement in my life to reset, refocus, readjust, and restart again reignited!  I have shared my list below, but before we get there let me tell you a bit more about the process. 

From a naturopathic philosophy view this is known as 'Establishing the conditions of health'; the first step of the naturopathic order whereby you highlight and remove the disturbing factors which when left unaddressed can become obstacles to cure, and as such something that may be acute, ends up becoming chronic or degenerative; in other words, worse than it really needed to be. For example., you have a pebble in your shoe that is making your foot uncomfortable. Instead of removing the pebble you just try to ignore it, and push through the discomfort it is causing. Then, you start to experience pain in your foot, so take off your shoe and notice there is an open wound.  You take the pebble out now right? Nope, you apply some antiseptic and a band aid to the foot, put your shoe back on and keep going. What do you think is going to happen?  Will the wound get better, or will it continue to get worse because what caused the wound in the first place is still in the shoe? You get it right? From a naturopathic point of view, the logical step is to remove the pebble before it becomes a boulder that crushes your being!  In other words, you address the cause (Tolle Totem). 

The pebble, the obstacles, are unique to the individual, although quite commonly include poor diet and lifestyle, excessive stress due numerous reasons such as socio-economic barriers, disruptive coping mechanisms, trauma, toxic exposure, and so on and so forth. Be they in place for an excuse or a reason, or a combination of both,  by acknowledging and removing them  it allows the bodies innate healing ability to be optimally engaged, and the implementation of more healthful regimens and therapeutic interventions to be effective. 

Acknowledgement: This is the first, and dare I say the most important step, as you cannot move from where you are if you do not first acknowledge that change is needed! 

Removing Obstacles: It is one thing to acknowledge that change needs to happen, but another completely to actually 'be ready', 'be willing', or 'believe you are worthy' of doing what needs to be done to change! 

It is worth noting here that acknowledgement and the action of removing obstacles, may not follow one after the other in quick procession.  In fact, acknowledgement alone may be a back and forth process, whereby one 'knows' that is something is not quite right, but does not progress past that point, for days, weeks, even years.  This is similarly the case with being ready to implement change.  Oh, and of course there is the one I actually think is the clincher; believing that you are worthy!  That you are worthy of dedicating the time to work on yourself.  That you are worthy of showing yourself the love you so freely give to others.  That you are worthy of not just settling with your lot in life, that you deserve to walk in pebble free shoes! 

In the past I called the list I'm going to share, My 'Happiness' to do list but the word didn't really fit - you can ready more about why I thought that HERE. The word 'vitality' on the other hand, which in its simplest form refers to universal "life force", fits perfectly!  Why did it take me so long to figure that out, seriously slapping my forehead right now! 

Stimulating vitality, more formally known as the Vis Medicatrix Naturae is the second step of the Naturopathic order. It is about implementing healthful regimens to stimulate and boost the "oomph" that gives us our spark, zest, energy, to not only endure, but to survive and thrive in the process. 

Something I feel needs to be mentioned here, is that although my list is extensive, as my vitality is currently 'low', taking a 'gentle' approach is the best course of action not to overwhelm and cause further dis-ease.  This again reinforces what I spoke of in my previous blog.  Here is a very brief recap for those who have not read it. The "all or nothing" mindset I held to achieve perfection, of which was measured against where I was when not dealing with the myriad of factors present today, was not serving to heal my body, but further dis-stress it. Thus, in order to achieve the 'consistency' I desire, in a way that aids the healing process, I needed to shift my mindset to that of 'something is better than nothing' and embrace a 'slow and steady' approach. 

In embracing the naturopathic philosophy of 'First do no harm (Primum non nocere)' this means utilising the least amount of force in order to promote gentle, safe and long-lasting health and well-being.  Over time, as my vitality increases, adjustments can be made.  In other words, unlike the me who would have written this list and then done a complete overhaul to address them all at once, I will be breaking it down piece by piece and doing what I can, when I can..., with the mindset that small steps each day will be more beneficial overall! 

What you will notice about my list is that it is separated into the categories of mind, body, and spirit to encompass all dimensions of wellness.  Each are intimately and very intentionally intertwined, and as such one can affect the other.  For example.  If you do not put fuel (food) into the car (body), it will not run.  If you do not check the engine (mind), it can lead to problems that make its performance not quite right.  I could go on producing more analogies, but I think you have got it! For me personally (and I know that this is not everyone cuppa of tea), in taking a holistic view we are looking at all the parts of ourselves as one, as “created in the image of God”; of which I have no doubts that great care and dedication were taken to get each part exactly right.  I mean, how fascinating is the human body! 

Something else I should share is that I do not think ‘good health’ is simply an absence of illness. It is the culmination of the physical, mental and spiritual centres of an individual working in harmony together to provide balance.  It is an individual process and as such an individualised integrative approach is needed to provide the diversity of treatment.  In other words, a one size fits all mechanistic approach is not the answer, although I do believe that the scientific knowing of the mechanics does have its place.

Anyway, I have once again written an epic novel, and really all I was trying to do is share my list.  So, with no further ado, here it is (Hallelujah I hear your say hehehe)!

Tash's VITALITY Wish List 

MIND

- Reduce and deal with stress better

- Reconnect with my purpose

- Read or Listen to audio books

- Focus on gratitude

- Genuinely and graciously savour the time off from work

- Keep budgeting/paperwork in check. 

- Look at starting back at work 

- Gardening

- Catch up with friends

- Daily Affirmations 

- Counselling appointments 

- Meet and accept myself where I am 

BODY

- Improve quantity and quality of sleep

- Take Medication/Supplements as prescribed. 

- Book in and attend medical appointments. 

- Attend regular naturopathic consultations 

- Improve nutrition

- Hydrate

- Move

- Physiotherapy Exercises

- Feel healthy and comfortable in my own skin again. 

- Quit smoking

- Get op ready 

SPIRIT

- Daily Meditation

- Daily Scripture and Prayer

- Keep house clean and organised (including outside areas) 

- Routine, Balance, and Consistency 

- Quality family time 

- Intimate connection with my sweet man

- Self care

- Feel connected with my local community again

This is it ‘for now’, because as I said earlier, is life not constantly evolving?

“A man’s mind plans his way [as he journeys through life], But the Lord directs his steps and establishes them” (Proverbs 16:9).


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all messages and comments that are positive and encouraging. If however you do have some criticism please make sure that it is constructive rather than destructive. Much Love, Light and Peace XOXO Tash!