Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Hello Fresh

Saturday 11th July, 2020

Last week, one of my instagram friends posted that she had 4 "FREE" Hello Fresh boxes available for anyone who would like to try.  After having a conversation with my Mum about this exact topic the week before, I did not hesitate to get one for each of us.

Once sent the free code, I did not hesitate to sign up!


www.hellofresh.com.au

I personally found the steps easy to follow.  Mum however, had a little trouble at her end.  This could have either been due to her internet dropping out, or the fact that old people and technology don't mix LOL.

From memory here they are.

Step 1.  Choose a meal plan.  

I chose the Family Plan, which is easy enough to change if desired.

Step 2.  Customise your plan

For the purpose of the free voucher, I ordered 4 recipes per week, with 4 servings per recipe.  It worked out I had to pay $5.01 which I was happy to do.

For the weeks that followed I chose 5 recipes per week, with 4 servings per recipe.  Total Cost (including $9.99 for shipping) is $159.80.

Step 3.  Sign Up

Set up an account with email and password.

Step 4.  Address

Enter delivery details such as address, and delivery day.

Step 5.  Check Out

Even though the box I got was free, I needed to put in either my credit card, or PayPal details.  In addition, I needed to agree to subscribing for weekly deliveries.  

If however, I decide not to continue, or I just want to skip a week, it is easy to do.

Step 6.  Choose Meals

They automatically select the meals for you.  You can however, edit the choices and pick anything you like from a choice of 18 options.  I preferred to chose myself, especially as Ace is a little fussy so the meals needed to suit him.

One of the recipes I chose, had a lunch option which was good for Ace, so it cost an additional $11.90 for 2 serves.


Today was my delivery day.  The box arrived early in the morning and left on the front door step.  I received a text message to let me know delivery was made.  Contactless to fit Covid-19 protocols.


Mark and I are so excited about not having to decide whats for dinner each night.  Instead, we just pull a brown paper bag, meat, and dressing out of the fridge and follow the recipe.


This could not have come at a more perfect time for us as  I have been feeling so bored with food lately.  Nothing has been satisfying my taste buds, and some meals seem to lack any flavour at all. So, I am hoping that these meals will both nourish and nurture. 

Most comments on my socials about the food have been positive, although price has been a negative factor, and there was a mention of the produce not being as fresh as it could be.  

Let the adventure begin!

Sunday 12th July, 2020

Here is our first recipe - Asian Chicken and Roast Vegie Salad.

  
The recipe card was easy to follow, and the meal itself pretty simple to whip up.  


It did use a heck of alot of dishes though, and the time it took to prepare/cook was longer than the usual recipes we are used to.


As for taste, Jazz went back for seconds; he loved how healthy it was.  Mark thought it was nice enough to have again; to him portion was perfect.  Ace enjoyed the chicken and tomatoes; he tried the roast veggies but wasn't ultra keen on them.  And me, well even though my lapband didn't allow me to keep it down; maybe because I was a piggy and tried to eat too much because it was yum (keeping things real here right!?) - I really enjoyed the flavours especially the little pepper kick; the tomatoes I wasn't a fan of but omg roasted cauliflower, why have I never had it that way before!


Would we have it again? We all say yes, well Ace is yes to the chicken only.  Good thing too as we still have a bit more left.


Monday 13th July, 2020

Wondering how I know what bag to choose?

The bags sticker, matches the logo printed on the recipe card.  If you pay attention, you'll notice each recipe has a different sticker/logo.


What I haven't mentoned yet, is that for some recipes you also need to add some pantry staples (and water).

This recipe needed quite a few things.


Tonights dinner was a Beef Bipimbap bowl.  


However, as Ace doesnt like egg he went for the lunch option of a Beef Bulgogi Wrap.

I personally felt that the meat was a little on the oily side, so.I drained it before serving.

Also, the rice was cooked via the absorption method and I usually use a rice cooker, as our electric stove doesn't do simmer well.  Truth-be-told, the rice was a little sticky, but tasty all the same.

So what was the taste verdict?

Long story short, it was D to the LISH!  Taste sensation plus! 


Both Ace and Jazz had seconds.  Mark and I were disappointed we couldn't fit more in, but can't wait for lunch tomorrow.


Tuesday 14th July, 2020

Tonight's dinner was Korean Beef Tacos, and they were definitely a welcome change from our usual cheese and sour cream mexican ones; so much lighter and yet tastier.

As mentioned in the previous recipe, some pantry staples were required.

This particular recipe didn't seem as fiddly as the other two, although there were a few steps.

Like, marinate the beef in soy, garlic and honey.

Confession time:  I had a hard time reading the quantities on the recipe card.  So, instead of 1/3 cup of soy, I put in 1/2 Ooops.

And, making pickled onions.  O.M.G, I will definitely be making them again.

From there it was preparing the salad!

Then onto cooking the meat, heating tortillas, and serving.



The verdict:

Both Ace and Mark didn't really care for the fried shallots.

Ace also felt there was too much carrot; cant disagree that there was alot but it wasn't over powering.

Jazz absolutely smashed his, while the rest of us saved one for later, or maybe even lunch.

Realistically, this meal could probably serve 6 people with each having two tacos each.

As for our rating, so far we would put this one in second place; lasts night, is number one.  And we would definitely have it again!

Wednesday 15th July, 2020

Tonight's dinner was Beef Koftas with Cous Cous Tabouli and Lemon Yogurt.  

Despite having quite a few ingredients, it was quick and easy to prepare.

Am I the only one who wears gloves when having to touch meat?  The human kind an exception to the rule ofcourse *hehehe*.

Yes it is true, Mark got out the ruler to make sure they were as close as possible to 2.5cm wide and 6.00cm long LOL.

There were no left overs night.

The verdict:  Third favourite, although only by a smidge.

Jazz, thought it was great, abd th thinks I'm now a gourmet chef (bless his little heart).  Ace, didn't like the currents in the cous cous and thought the meat was a tad dry (I love his honesty but can ya tell he's the fussy one!?!).  Yet again, Mark and I loved it just the way it was.

If I were to make any changes at all though, I would probably be just as happy with the meat cooked like 'mince', and mixed through the cous cous.


Very sadly, that was our final meal for the free Hello Fresh trial box.  Would I pay to get it?  I certainly would!  Would I recommend it for others?  Absolutely.

I will admit though, the best part has been not having to think about whats for dinner every day. 

Wanna know some good news?

From Friday I won't need to worry about it again, as I will be trialling DINNERLY (aka Marley Spoon).

Be sure to stay tuned...

OH, one more thing.  Do you want to try Hello Fresh?  Would you like $50.00 OFF your first order?  If the answer is YES please message me for a code.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all messages and comments that are positive and encouraging. If however you do have some criticism please make sure that it is constructive rather than destructive. Much Love, Light and Peace XOXO Tash!