Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Some Information about the Lapband

I have had a few private messages recently from people asking questions about my Lapband and so I decided to write this blog.  I hope that it answers your questions.  If you would like to know more please be sure to leave a comment or send me a message.

Please remember that this is based on my personal journey and experiences only.

What exactly is the Lapband?

The Lapband is a gastric band that is fastened around the upper part of the stomach (similar to putting a watch on your wrist) which creates a small pouch.  Due to this small pouch the amount of food that can be consumed is restricted.  There is also an access port which is connected to the band by tubing.  This port is placed in the tummy wall (close to the surface) and is used to inject saline into the band to make the restriction more or less (saline is removed). 




How much did it cost?

Keeping in mind that I was (initially) banded in 2001 which is now 10 years ago (wow where did the time go?) it cost me $2500* with Private Health Insurance for a minimum of 12 months.  The cost without the insurance was between $8000 - $10,000.    My second band was done under medicare due to it being classed as a medical emergency.

I have heard from friends that have been banded recently that the costs have increased but I can't give exact figures as the costs vary between surgeons.  This link gives some pricing information.

*This cost covered all practitioners involved in the operation itself NOT the hospital expenses (these were covered by my insurance).  Medicare covered the cost of the Anaethetist and the Assistant Surgeon.

Are there any other costs?

Yes.  You will need to have regular follow up appointments with your surgeon of which there is a standard cost and on top of that if you need to have an adjustment (either more or less restriction) there is an additional fee for that but you get a portion back on medicare

I have monthly appointments and it costs approx $30 for a standard consultation (no adjustment).  If I have an adjustment it costs approx $130 but I get $90 back.
How did you make it happen?

After trying diet after diet getting nowhere fast and getting more and more depressed and sicker due to the associated health risks of obesity I finally decided that I couldn't do it on my own and asked one of my friends for the details of her surgeon. 

Paul Dumbrell
(03) 9450 6800
5 Burgundy Street
Heidelberg, Vic 3084

I called to make an appointment and was booked in for an assessment on 20 October 1999.  I was told that I needed to get a referral from my GP and that there was a cost that needed to be paid on the day (I can't remember how much it was and I don't think that it was covered by medicare).

The assesment involved taking my height (173cm) and weight (127.5kg) so that my BMI could be calculated to determine whether or not I was an acceptable candidate.  Mine was 42.6 and I qualified - obviously!  I really don't know what I would of done if I didn't - probably gone home and stuffed myself silly so that I would (sad thought hey). 

They also asked questions about my past attempts at losing weight and general questions about the type of diet and exercise that I was following. 

Then it was my turn to ask questions:  How much does it cost?  What does it involve? When/Where can I have it done? Is it successful for everyone?  and the list goes on and on (I recommend writing a list of questions to take to the appointment with you).

I decided then and there that I was going to have it done and whilst I was gutted at the thought of having wait at least a year, finacially it was my only option.

My insurance started on 29 December 1999 and on the 18 December 2000 I got my letter confirming my surgery for the 8 February 2001 (1 year and 4 months from initial appointment).

In the 2 months leading up to the operation I was booked in to see a Dietician to go through my post surgery diet which I found out consisted of Month 1 = Liquid Only, Month 2 = Transition from Liquid to Solids (in other words mush) and Month 3 onwards = A Learning Game. 

I also attended a seminar where I got to watch a video of the operation being done (hard to do behind my fingers LOL) and listen to the testimonials of successful banders - this was the exciting part.

Did you have to go to councelling?

No, but I would reccomend it as I personally found that as the weight came off more and more issues arose.  

If you have been following my blog then you will know that I still have many weight related issues that I am coming to terms with and learning how to manage.  I think that if I had of gotten help sooner then perhaps I wouldn't still be struggling with these 10 years later. 

Did you have to follow a special diet before the surgery?

No, although I did have to fast before the surgery.

I do know however that my friends that have been banded recently were put on the Optislim diet.  I am not sure if this is the standard for everyone or if it depends upon the individual.

How much weight did you lose?

I lost a total of 56.5kg getting down to 71kg.

How long did it take?

It took just over a year.

Why did you need to have it redone?

Due to my band being too restrictive which caused vomiting my band slipped and a part of my stomach came up over the top of the band to form a pouch.  Because this went so long without being noticed (partly because I didn't say anything and partly because the xrays weren't viewed) a part of my band also eroded into my stomach. 


Slippage is a common problem in the band but can be avoided.  Also the band has a shelf life and so will need to be replaced due to wear and tear at sometime over the years.  I suggest that you write these down on your list of questions to find out more from your surgeon.

Did you experience any other problems?

In 2003 my Port twisted which meant that the surgeon wasn't able to get the needle in to inflate/deflate the band.  I was admitted in for day surgery on 10 June 2003 and needed to be cut open to have it untwisted and reimbedded into the muscle wall.  The worst part about it all was that I was pregnant at the time and so I wasn't able to be put fully to sleep.  Now that is an experience I never want to relive ewww!

Would you recommend it? 

For sure!  But only IF you have tried every thing else first.

There are also other weightloss surgery's out there that could be more suited to your situation so be sure to research all the options.  HERE is a website that provides some good information.

What other advise do you have?

Don't rely on the band to do all the hard work, help it by following a good nutrition plan and exercising.  Not only will it mean that you will achieve your goals quicker but you will also be healthier in both mind and body and TONE the skin as you lose which will help to 'reduce' the amount of excess skin.  If you find that you lack motivation get yourself a personal trainer so that you have the additional support - pay in advance so that you are more likely to go to your sessions.

You can view details about my current surgeon Peter Nottle HERE (I changed because he was closer).

More information on the Lapband HERE

NOTE:

On a more personal note I have to say that this blog has been really good therapy for me as I have realised that even though I have put on 14.1kg from my lowest weight I have still come so far from the girl that I was 10 years ago!

Weight Then = 127.5kg, BMI Then = 42.6
Weight Now =   85.4kg, BMI Now = 28.5

Weight Loss (based on current figures) = 42.1kg

Why have I put on weight if I still have the Lapband?

When I was pregnant I had all the fluid taken out of my band so that I could get in enough nutrients.  I put on a total of 10kgs after having both babies. 

I managed to lose it again but then I had the band slippage/erosion and once again I had all the fluid taken out and discovered that I still had no will power (need I say more).

When they put in the new band they put in a bigger one which means it takes more adjustments for it to get to the same restriction that I had previously.  At the moment I have very little restriction but I am gradually getting it increased so that I have a little bit more assistance on my journey. 

There was a time that I thought of it as 'cheating' and was ashamed that I needed it to help me lose weight.  But now I am proud to be a bander and know that it wasn't the easy way out - its just a different way!


I have every confidence that I will once again reach my goals.  I have found my will power in the quote "nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels" and my motivation in the fact that "there are no excuses you just do it".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all messages and comments that are positive and encouraging. If however you do have some criticism please make sure that it is constructive rather than destructive. Much Love, Light and Peace XOXO Tash!