Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Day 1 post op - Tuesday 25th Feb!

And here we are...a whole 24 hours gone and officially calling it Day 1 post op!

I am feeling blergh because I haven't slept!
BUT, I am in good spirits, despite everything!
I took some notes on my phone during this time, so this post may once again be a mix of tenses; past and present. The time line of events may also be a little over the shop, as lets face it I was high on some good drugs and things were a little surreal at that time.

My foob is sorer under my arm on the LHS, its also very bruised and looking a little black! My breast surgeon (Anita) popped by briefly early this morning to see how I'm doing. She said "you are one lucky lady...the operation timing was perfect as we found additional 'sinister looking' lumps".

I also recall her saying something about things being undetected earlier due to tissue density.   Mind you, when she (and everyone else for that matter) were talking if felt like someone was turning the mute button on and off, whilst little fairies danced around my head.

My risk management breast nurse (Trish) also popped in a little later to check in me.  I was more with it then so I got to ask about next steps eg. chemo, radiation, lymph involvement.  Luckily, there was no lymph involvement and so they do not believe that any further intervention is needed (it will ofcourse depend upon tissue results), other than what was originally planned with the foobs (this operation was number one).

I have to tell ya, I had a hard time with this one as to me, finding cancer means 'chemo/radiation' etc, and yet...zip!  That was, until I was informed that someone else I know (name withheld for their privacy) was recently diagnosed with breast cancer with no lymph involvement, had a double mastectomy but does not require additional treatment - like WOW!  It seems silly but knowing that it really does happen, makes me feel more okay about everything.

Thank you God!

So because of that, they had some issues working on the left hand side.  Hmmm, okay, that explains the size difference and the obvious trauma.

The plastics team also popped in this morning, led by the lovely Sheeba.  They said they were happy with everything but mentioned they had some issues keeping me warm in theatre (hypothermia), which would explain why I am still cold even with my special yellow puffy blanket on high.

They also asked about my leg feeling odd, and after a series of various tests said they believe it is an impingment on nerve S1 L5, due to positioning in surgery.  It should resolve itself but will take time.  They said,  they are going to order a scan to rule out a blood clot just to be on the safe side.

Oh, I also needed to have both TEDs.  This however, was not an easy task as they were the short hard to find type.  Mission find short teds for bed 25 began!  

Video Diary 8.00am UPDATE HERE

Video Diary DRY MOUTH HERE

Did I also tell you that I was ultra dry because despite being on intravenous fluids, I was dehydrated.  Unfortunately, because of the blackening on my left breast getting worse, I wasn't allowed too much to drink incase they had to re-operate.

Oh yes, so as you may have guessed, things kinda progressed from looking okay just a bit black, to hmm that looks a little iffy, lets call in the plastics team!

They sent Pedro, a short, medium build, rather good looking latino guy, in his late 20's early 30's.

Let me set the scene:

The curtains for my cubicle are closed.

I am lying in bed with boobs out, high AF but still a little concerned by the expression on the nurses face that have come in, had a look at my breast, whispered to my nurse Ash and then walked away again.

Ash is now on my right hand side taking obs.

Next thing I know, a head pops in through the gap in the curtain...

"Hello, I'm Pedro from plastics, come to have a look at your breasts".  

Well, I 'think' that is what he said, but his accent is so strong that I really could not be 100% sure.

He opens the curtain, enters the cubicle, closes the curtain, walks over to my left side, has a look at my breast and says...

"Oh Shit"!

Then he turns, hurriedly tries to find the curtain opening and out he goes.

Yep, no shit that is what he said, and that I am 100% sure off!  

I looked at Ash and her eyes had widened and jaw had dropped.  

Suddenly, Pedro bursts back in.  He is holding a special little needle thing.  He uses it to poke at my left breast.  It starts bleeding.  He lets out a huge relieving sigh.  Turns around and walks towards the curtain.  He is standing in the opening holding onto each side, when he dramatically pauses, looks over his shoulder at me and says...

"Ignore what I said before, you know, the oh shit! It's okay!".

And off he went.

I looked at Ash who was still standing on my right side looking dumbfounded.


And then, I lost my shit and burst into laughter!  I mean come on!  I have to say though, it was so bloody refreshing after not having anyone express the true concerns that they clearly had going by the looks on their face anyway!

Still to this day, almost 3 months later it makes me laugh.



List of current medications
And after sharing that, its back to the boring stuff!

Ooh I did get approval to eat though as they are just going to monitor the breast.

Change over equals new nurse...today it's Kat!

Being in same position is very uncomfortable and the physio has not yet shown up so that means I am not allowed out of bed.  Problem solved!

With the help of Kat and another nurse, this Champ rolled on her side, then back on her back, to the other side, and then back on her back again!  This not only allowed for some movement, but I also got a sponge bath,  a massage, and fresh linen.  I'm not gonna lie to you and say it was an easy task.  Nor, am I going to sugar coat the fact that the pain scale was off the chart.  But, I did it!

Since I was naked, I took the opportunity to get to Kat to take a photo for me.



And at 10.45am, Mark finally arrived - WHOO HOO!  Just in time to get me a smoothie for breakie!

I'm toastie but the penguin (Mark) is boiling.
Apparently the room feels like we are on a tropical island.
Around 1.00pm, Jenny the wound care nurse came to see me and spoke about a vaccuum dressing that the team would like to try.  As my wound was a little unique, she said she was lucky enough to have the representative coming in to assist with the application.

Prevena Dressing and Operating Unit
As the dressings were being checked on my legs, I got to have my first look.


One of the plastics team members (Rory?) came by at approximately 3.15pm to let me know that the blackening was not the best sign.  However, the fact that it was bleeding meant that the blood was flowing, which is a good sign.  So, at this stage the plan is to keep the prevena on for a week, and look into the possibility of another operation once it comes off and things are re-evaluated.

I'm glad one of us can sleep!
The day after my non nipple sparing bilateral mastectomy and vug reconstruction it was a case of pretty much doing what I could to keep spirits up,  One of those was doing Kat Jons #zftuesday and giving #zerofks about the fact that I'm puffy from morphine and naked under all the padding,  and basically all dignity has gone out the window.  Oh and I can't move more than this either!  I chose this song as a message for my baby boys.  Plus I know that my tiktok at the end is totes wrong and yes very cringy...but guess what, I give #zero_f@c%$


She said, "Son there'll be times when the tides are high
And the boat may be rocky, you can cry
Just never give up
You can never give up," uh-uh
In this life you could lead if you only believe
And in order to achieve what you need
You can never give up
You can never give up

And this hope
That keep me holding on
On and on
And this hope
That makes me carry on
On and on

With all the trouble I had been having with my lapband leading up to the operation, I asked for my hospital diet to be that of puree so that the risk of vomitting was reduced.

It tasted pretty good.  Maybe because it was my first real meal!
I had my first visitor tonight; other than my sweet man that is.

My gorgeous friend (yes, and nurse at RMH) Carolyn
All I can say is that her visit was absolutely devine timing, as she gifted me with an awesome neck cooler AND guess who just so happened to be running a fever that night!


I wish I could tell you that I drifted off into a sweet slumber and slept right through the night, but alas that is not so.

Instead, I was awake dealing with cathetar issues.  In the end Ash (yes, same one as last night YAY) needed to use a syringe to get the urine flowing (wow, didn't that feel funky).  But I finally stopped feeling as though I had lots of pee but just couldn't go.

And that my friends is pretty much the end of my first day.

P.S.  Below is once again Mark's text/status update!

(Mark here #4 - Tue 25th at 10.46am)
So, apart from being more than a little sleep deprived and floating on non-sleepy meds, the girl is doing good! She's got me feeding her breakfast and organizing her very unorganized room!  Whilst her chest is very bruised and looks as though Fenech has used it as a boxing bag (Pfffft...PLEASE!! As if he could get within swinging distance of my babygirl!!!), she's doing well all in all.  After I clock off from here tonight, I'll give you all an update on how she's fared today.  Love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all messages and comments that are positive and encouraging. If however you do have some criticism please make sure that it is constructive rather than destructive. Much Love, Light and Peace XOXO Tash!