Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Here we go - Op time!

It was fasting from midnight so I had my last supper, oops I mean my last cuppa at 11.00pm.  Then it was off to sleep.  Well, I tried but the anxiousness got the better of me, so I at least closed my eyes and napped on and off.  


At 4.30am the alarm buzzed!  After showering, making the bed, doing a general tidy (whilst overwhelming Mark with a verbal list of a million things to get done before I come home), ensuring that I had every thing packed (say it with me; testicle, spectacles, wallet and watch), and then sneaking in to kiss the boys goodbye, it was time to hit the road.  We arrived at RMH admissions at 6.05am.

This hallway was super dark and eerie, hence the faces!
It looks so light in the selfie...but believe me, it wasn't!
After two check-in processes, it was quite a while before I was called in, so we got to sit in the waiting room and smell an inconsiderate bitches coffee! Grrr, I mean there are signs everywhere to say that people are fasting, so please no food or drink in the waiting room!!!  Why are some people so freaking rude!?!

Seriously!

At 6.55am, my name was called by a nurse who again checked my paperwork, took my obs (BP = Perfect!  Like WTF?  I am nervous as heck and its text book, goes to show how low it usually is huh), and gave me my trendsetter outfit of the day.

Looking sexy in my OOTD!

Once dressed in surgery gear, Mark and I were taken to the recliner chairs to wait for the team to do their pre-op checks. Unbeknownst to me at the time, this is where I met Mel, who was soon to be my roomie for the next few days.


It wasn't long however, until I was ushered into a little cubicle with some of my team not far behind; Dean, Kylie, Sheeba, Lovely Asian Doctor, Bald Bloke, and others that I can't properly remember.  Once again, paperwork was checked and I was asked to confirm the proceedure I was having.

...Non-nipple sparing bilateral mastecomy with vug reconstruction.  Or, in laymens terms, nipples and breast tissue removed and reconstructed breasts made from the tissue of my inner thighs!


Then it was time to lift the gown so that Kylie could draw on me.  Dean later made adjustments accordingly.


Whilst quite a high anxiety process, it was kept light with jokes being flung here there and everywhere...bit like my boobs!

Okay let's do this!

At 7.30am the time came to say goodbye to Mark and I was wheeled into a big room with lots of people.  I was then rolled to a smaller room and once again asked all the usual pre-op questions by a range of different people; all bright and cheery and happy to engage in general chit chat to help settle the nerves.  One of those was my breast surgeon Anita, who was wearing a pink flamingo cap...isn't it funny what you remember, I couldn't tell you the design, but I know it had flamingoes.  I can also remember her coming to see me after the operation, but I will talk more about that in another post.


What else?  Oooh I forgot to mention that earlier a nurse had put tape on my nose ring, but in that small amount of time I had started to blister (adhesive allergy) so I took it out and put it in a denture jar...ewww!

Now where was I, oh yeah...not too much later (I can recall looking at the clock and it was 7.45am), I was wheeled into the surgical room where I awkwardly shuffled from my bed, to the other very cold and narrow table.  Arm rests were inserted for comfort and to make it easier for them to canulate me, although I am so thankful they said they would do that while I was asleep.

I can recall looking around the room and noticing little groups of people chatting whilst busily prepping.  

Whilst lying there looking up at the big light, a wave of fear came over me to the point of almost tears.  Thankfully this was eased by the nurse making a statement about dreaming of delicious food, to which I replied with a joke about my next meal being hospital mush...that sadly, was not a joke!  

Time for 'the mask' and deep breaths finally arrived and then that feeling hit me!  Oh how I love that feeling...the body becomes weightless, painfree...I'm able to fly!  

I quickly say Goodnight to everyine and tell them I will see them on the flip side.  



I don't even get to hear a reply before it's lights out!

P.S.  Thought I would share my hubsters messages to family, and facey status updates on that day.

(Mark here 9.00am)
Sooooo...the girl is officially in theatre. I've been sent home to wait for a phone call to say she's out and ready for me to see her. Love all of y'all, but I aint gonna be sending all 528 of ya's individual, personalized messages!! Anywho, God-willing I'll be posting about her coming out of theatre and being high as a kite mid to late arvo. For now, im off for a small kip! Until then, love to all...toodle pip! xo

(Mark here #2 - 5.00pm)
For those wanting an update on the girl...Rang the horsepiddle. No news yet. I'll let ya's know when I know. Keep sending them prayers and positive vibes our way!! Tnx

(Mark here #3 - 7.30pm) 
She's out of theatre and in recovery!! She'll there for a couple of hours and then shifted to the ward. Sadly, I won't get to see her until early tomorrow morning. Just rejoicing in the fact that she's off the table and she's looking stable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all messages and comments that are positive and encouraging. If however you do have some criticism please make sure that it is constructive rather than destructive. Much Love, Light and Peace XOXO Tash!