Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Mastectomy Bags Packed

I thought I would write a post to show what I packed for hospital just incase it might be helpful for someone else heading in for a mastectomy. 

I compiled my list from various different websites and blogs, but one of the best was Pink Hope

Please note the following is not in any particular order...

Paperwork - previous tests results etc

I have all my information in a display folder which makes it easier to view and keeps them organised.

Medications and vitamins that you are currently taking.

Please note that when it comes to herbal supplements it is best to check with your surgical team if they are okay with you taking them.

These may or may not be used

Facewashers

I was lucky enough to be allowed to shower (on occassion), and even though the hospital supplied body wash, moisturiser, disposable wash cloths etc, it was nice to use my own.

Skin tends to dry out after surgery

Handcream, lip balm and body lotion (frankinscene for grounding) were invaluable.

Tissues and cotton buds a must have for me

Electric Toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, toothpics

Remember that you may not be able to move your arms much, so having an electric toothbrush really makes life easier.


A friend of mine made these pillows for me and I would have been lost without them. The get placed under the arm and the ties mean that they stay in place while I move around.

.

As above, my friend made this custom pillow for me and it was a must have. I still use it now.


I got the pink pockets (adhesive pocket patches) online from the States and unfortunately I couldn't use them as the drainage tubes I was given were the large kind. They would be useful for the smaller drainage bottles.

Drain tubes bags - these are a MUST, I used four! What I wished I did have was waterproof bags so that when I could shower I could hang the bottles in the bags rather than having to take them out and hang them individually.

Lanyard and nappy pins - again these were a MUST to deal with the drain tubes.


Healing Crystal Kit - My friend Sarah gave these to me as a gift and I kept them with me all through my journey.

Essential oil blends

I took three blends plus the sleepy time one mentioned in a later on.

One to curb any smoke cravings I may get. I am happy to report that I did not need to use this one.
Intune - this is classed as a focus blend but I find that the scent helps to ground, calm and soothe me.
Clear Sinuses - hospitals get stuffy so I made up a breahe and lemon blend to help keep airways open.

Dry shampoo (keeps you hair presentable for one or two more days)

Uno - to keep the boys entertained when they visit.
It came to light that a sketch book would of also been good to take.

Smal suitcase on wheels with lots of compartments

I packed bed socks as I get cold feet
I also packed an extension lead and double adapter which came in really handy
Slippers are a must for when you can walk around the ward
Grip socks are good enough for walking around your own room


Neck Pillow and additional blanket

These were MUST HAVES for me as I was required to wear them day and night for at least six weeks.

Dresssing Gown - this also doubled as an additional blanket

PJ's and an outfit an outfit to wear home.

Everthing here was ultra handy

Hat for those days that you can't be bothered doing your hair, or your head is a little cold
Ipod, headphones and charger - I also took a double jack and spare headphones so Mark could listen with me.
Throat lozenges (especially for when you first come out of theatre).
Mints for those days you don't get to brush your teeth
Mobile phone charger.
Back Scratcher
Bendable Straws - so you can drink lying down without spillage
Sleep mask, ear plugs and sleep aromatherapy blend
Glasses if you wear them

You may have noticed that things were packed in plastic bags?  I do this as it makes it easier for the nurse/carer/visitor, Mark to just pull out a bag of pjs/clothes rather than go searching for specific individual items in a packed suitcase

Others not pictured

Laptop/iPad and charger (useful to have some movies downloaded)
Notepad and pen (to record the journey and anynotes about converstation with doctors/nurses)
Snacks

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all messages and comments that are positive and encouraging. If however you do have some criticism please make sure that it is constructive rather than destructive. Much Love, Light and Peace XOXO Tash!