Sunday, September 4, 2016

Sharing Fathers Day with Two Dads...

Today my boys and I got to show their Dad Glenn (RHS) and their Step Dad Mark (LHS) how special they are and how thankful we are to have them both in our lives. We all had so much fun playing footy and cricket together at the park and it was good to have a few good laughs even if it was at my expense LOL. I am so grateful that we can all get along and co-parent our amazing boys ❤.


I love that my boys know that just because Dad and I aren't together anymore that it doesn't mean we stopped loving each other, its just different now and we love them just the same. 


I'm certainly not saying it is always smooth sailing because lets face it, all the things that led to the breakdown of the relationship are still there; it's just that they don't consume us in the same way as before. 


I loved Glenn so much, I still do; I was just not 'in love' with him anymore and to be completely honest, on some days I didn't like him very much. I am not pointing the finger at him and saying it was all his fault because I know that I own my share of it all too. No one can ever accuse either of us for not trying because we gave it everything we had but it had just run its course and in the end was making us and the boys unhappy. 


Anyway, here we are...both of us able to put our differences and hurts aside for the sake of our beautiful boys and to co-parent, albeit it in a blended capacity. I am happy to call Glenn my mate and know that he will be there if I ever said I needed him, just like he knows I would do the same for him. 


My ideas about the key to making co-parenting work is; releasing ourselves of past hurt, putting our differences aside, genuinely showing love and concern for the other parent and not ever making the kids feel like they need to choose sides, being on the same page (there can be some slight modifications) with regards to acceptable behaviour and routines and, always ensuring that the kids are our highest priority in life, above all else.

Maybe it is a natural thing for me as my Mum, Dad and Step Dad all worked together so well in raising me and for their ability to do that, I will be ever thankful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all messages and comments that are positive and encouraging. If however you do have some criticism please make sure that it is constructive rather than destructive. Much Love, Light and Peace XOXO Tash!